The mission of Colby-Sawyer's healthcare administration program is to integrate the liberal education foundation with a more focused preparation in managing diverse healthcare systems. Our students will gain professional knowledge of management and the growing and dynamic healthcare industry through classroom work, field study and community partnerships.
This major provides a solid foundation in the liberal arts and offers an understanding of healthcare organization operations, financing, management, marketing and delivery of health care services. This major integrates the classroom, research and field experiences to provide students with the necessary disciplinary knowledge and practical skills to manage the sustainable delivery of high-quality clinical health care. This major prepares students for entry-level positions in health care and the knowledge and skills necessary for administrative positions in nursing homes, hospitals, assisted living facilities, rehabilitation facilities, managed care and other organizations providing health services. Students can continue their studies by entering the accelerated 5th-year MBA program which will allow them to graduate with their healthcare administration Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in four years and their Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) degree in five years. Please see the Business—Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) section of this catalog for additional information or speak with your academic advisor.
The healthcare administration major and healthcare management minor are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) Note: Accreditation agencies and regulatory bodies may change requirements at any time and that, in turn, may necessitate changes in program requirements. In that event, matriculated students will be notified of the nature of those changes and will be required to adhere to the new standards.
Healthcare Administration students will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of various healthcare delivery systems and the associated operational, human, marketing and financial aspects associated with each.
- Assess the legal, regulatory and economic environment, technological developments, demographic changes, as they impact organizations, managerial decision-making and more particularly the health care industry.
- Recognize important external and internal factors and trends impacting the industry and be prepared to assess current policies as well as recommend and adopt changes as needed.
- Examine the dynamic nature of healthcare administration and demonstrate the and leadership skills to manage resources as needed within this environment.
- Integrate all facets of healthcare administration with real-world challenges via the extensive use of case-studies, internships and community partnerships.
Healthcare Administration B.S. Progress to Completion Requirements:
BUS 401 must be completed at Colby-Sawyer College
Students interested in using electives to further their study in healthcare could add:
The 5th-year accelerated MBA program with a concentration in healthcare administration or project management may be of interest to healthcare administration majors. Please refer to the Graduate Program section of this catalog for more information.