Abbey Hall (1940)
Abbey Hall was named to honor Mrs. Emily F. Abbey Gill, who made generous contributions to leading New England colleges especially concerned with the education of women. Abbey Hall is a friendly and diverse hall community for women only.
Austin Hall (1927; 1965)
Austin Hall was constructed in 1927 to serve as a gymnasium and physical education center. In 1965, it was renovated and turned into a residence for 33 students. The hall was named in honor of Dr. Eugene M. Austin, president of the college from 1955 to 1962.
Best Hall (1954)
Best Hall is one of the larger corridor style halls and houses first-year students. The ground floor is all female, the first floor is mixed gender by room and the second and third floors are half male and half female. Best Hall was named for Dr. Samuel M. Best, football coach at Colby Academy, member of the Board of Trustees from 1933 until 1968 and chair from 1933 until 1968.
Burpee Hall (1934)
Burpee Hall is mixed gender and houses returning students. Perley Burpee was a shoemaker and farmer who married Judith Colby, sister of Governor Anthony Colby, and was among the 11 men who procured the original charter for New London Academy in 1837. The home he built in 1816 still stands on Main Street, one block east of the campus. His grandchildren, Wilfred E. Burpee, Class of 1882, and Mary Burpee Macomber, Class of 1885, served as trustees from 1907 to 1948 and from 1905 to 1952 respectively. Erected wing-by-wing over three years, Burpee Hall housed the library collection until 1949.
Colby Hall (1931)
Colby Hall houses first-year students. Created through a gift from Mary Colgate, this residence hall was named in honor of a New London family important to the history of the school. One of the 11 founders of the academy, Anthony Colby was a 19th century New Hampshire governor, and his daughter Susan was the first teacher and principal.
Danforth Hall (2001)
Danforth houses returning students in 10 suites. Suites are mixed gender. Suites 60 and 61 are “quiet suites” for students who want a quiet environment that extends beyond the designated quiet hours for the campus. Each suite features two bathrooms and a storage area. Danforth is an accessible building and has an elevator. Danforth Hall was named in recognition of Peter D. Danforth, who served the college as a trustee from 1983 to 1992 and again from 1999 to 2006.
Lawson Hall (1996)
Lawson Hall offers suite style living for first-year students and is accessible. Suites 55 and 65 are designated "quiet suites" for students who looking for a peaceful environment to sleep and study. Lawson Hall was named in honor of Charles J. “Chuck” Lawson and his wife Joan. Chuck served on the Board of Trustees from 1988 to 1998, the last six years as chair.
McKean Hall (1930)
McKean Hall houses first-year students. McKean Hall was named for Dr. Horace G. McKean, principal and headmaster of the academy from 1899-1905. For the 2020-2021 academic year McKean Hall will be once again used for student housing.
Page Hall (1938)
Page Hall houses both new and returning students. Page Hall was named for the Reverend Charles L. Page, class of 1880. He served for 40 years as a member and chair of the Board of Trustees.
Rooke Hall (1994)
Rooke Hall houses returning students in apartments of four or five residents. Every apartment has single and double bedrooms, a bathroom, a living room and a kitchen area. Rooke Hall was named for Robert Levi Rooke, whose generous bequest provided resources for its construction. He was the father-in-law of former trustee Natalie Davis Rooke ’48 and Anastasia Payne Rooke ’50 and grandfather of Marianne Rooke Fairall ’73.
Shepard Hall (1932)
Shepard Hall houses returning students. The Shepards were one of the original families to settle in New London. James Ely Shepard was an active trustee during the early days of the academy and his son Charles E. Shepard, in addition to serving as a trustee for 20 years, operated the stagecoach service between New London and Potter Place.
The College Houses — London House, Red House, Grey House, White House and Yellow House — allow for students to have more independence and are a great stepping-stone to living outside of the college setting. Students understand the expectations and responsibilities in living in these properties and agree to behave with independence, maturity and respect for themselves and the greater community.