The Bachelor of Science Degree in sport management works within a philosophical framework that integrates sport sciences and business foundations to provide students with a pre-professional education grounded in the liberal arts and sciences. The sport industry is a rapidly growing field with a broad range of jobs available both nationally and internationally. Students are served by a broad‐based sport management curriculum while also selecting courses from a variety of disciplines that will meet the individual professional goals of each student. The curriculum is guided by the standards of the Commission of Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA) and graduates of the program are prepared to enter sport careers in marketing, sales, administration, governance, facility and event management, sports information and coaching. Our aim is to prepare our students to be sport management professionals who think critically, lead effectively and make ethical decisions. Communication and written skills are critical, and we hold our students to high standards of professionalism in and out of the classroom.
Sport Management students will:
- Explain and apply the principles and concepts of business, management, administration and leadership as they relate to sport.
- Articulate and implement a philosophical framework as it relates to social responsibility and ethical issues in sport.
- Develop a strategy for marketing and sales in a sport business.
- Describe the basic legal concepts related to sport and be able to implement strategies to reduce risk.
- Explain the governance of recreational, amateur and professional sport both domestically and internationally and analyze the effectiveness of each.
- Apply the principles and concepts for planning, designing and operating a sport facility and event.
- Apply sociological theories and influences to sport context.